Thursday, December 11, 2008

Brown Sugar Rum Poundcake...Um, Yum

Yesterday when I got off the train, a man, wearing sandals (I get it, it was a mild day, but still it's December, put on some sensible shoes) got off the train behind me. We apparently were going in the same direction because he proceeded to follow me at close range (not stalkerish, but still close enough) that didn't bother me, what did bother me was that he whistled the whole way down the street. I don't mind whistling, I don't see anything wrong with it, except that he was a really really bad whistler. He had no rhythm or cadence to his little tune...it ended up sounding more like shit...shit that followed me for blocks and blocks. I contemplated turning around and letting him know.."you suck at whistling", but I figured that would not be very nice of me, and then I would look like one of those crazy people that likes to spew hatred upon the world and yell at total strangers, and I'm really not so I didn't say anything. I didn't say about the completely inappropriate footwear or the really really bad whistling. But today for some reason, I'm still annoyed. Have issues much JB?

Well, if you have issues too and need to snuggle up with a nice glass of egg nog and a little rum cake this recipe is for you. My friend Brenna (not BreNda, Brenna) sent me this recipe after scouring her recipe files for days, and you know what, it was worth all her hard work. I made it on Sunday and have been having one small piece of it every night (and sometimes in the morning...first sign of a problem, drinking in the am?) and it gets better and better every day...each day the rum is a little stronger and the cake better because of it. If you want this recipe on your table at Christmas make it at least 4 days ahead of time. Its So Damn Good.

Brown Sugar-Rum Pound Cake - Courtesy of Brenna


INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups butter, softened and divided
1 (16 ounce) package light brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar, divided
4 eggs

2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup dark rum
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons light rum
2 tablespoons water
Sweetened whipped cream (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

1. GREASE and flour 2 (6-cup) Bundt pans or 2 (9- x 5-inch) loaf pans, and sprinkle evenly with pecans.

2. BEAT 11/4 cups butter at medium speed with an electric mixer about 2 minutes or until creamy. Gradually add brown sugar and 1/4 cup sugar, beating 5 to 7 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.

3. COMBINE milk, dark rum, and vanilla.

4. COMBINE flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.

5. BAKE at 325 degrees F for 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes; remove from pans.

6. BRING remaining 1/2 cup sugar, remaining 1/4 cup butter, light rum, and 2 tablespoons water to a boil in a saucepan, and boil, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Drizzle over warm cakes, and cool completely on wire racks.


Rating = So Damn Good

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I decided to make this for some upcoming holiday parties and WOW. It's seriously one of the best things I have ever baked. I know you said to make it 4 days in advance but I highly doubt it will ever last that long without being devoured. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Brenna!